Saturday, April 14, 2012

A new take on wine country... Saint-Emilion

After a decent boost of confidence yesterday when we took all the munchkins to our local park and managed to get home with a very minor amount of meltdowns, we decided it was time to embark on a bit more grand adventure.  Today we piled in the car and headed to Saint-Emilion, the French version of Napa Valley.. OK, fine - it did all start here, but I'm still a bit more partial to my Bay Area wineries.   Unlike Napa, this fabulous little countryside offered a ton of beautiful architecture dating back to, um.. well, a long time ago.  Who has time to do the actual fact finding when you've got 4 kids with you?  We just considered ourselves lucky to be there.  

It was about a 45 minute drive and it was crazy how quickly we went from being in the heart of a city to being straight in the country.  Kind of makes sense when you think about how these areas started though.   Rather than pretend we had the ability to get kids in and out of the car to visit different chateaus for tastings, we just came to terms with our situation and headed for their little downtown area.  It was a lot of fun just to walk around, check out the old buildings and roads, and let the kids go crazy.  They all got their workouts walking up and down the steep cobble stone roads.  Not a drop of wine was poured for either of us, but that's what our evenings at home are for.  I've purchased a few bottles from this region (at the grocery store) as well as other local wines and I have to say, so far I haven't tasted anything that I like better than a good old California red.  Actually, I'd say in most cases I prefer CA wine.   All of a sudden I'm feeling like a California wine snob... me and my $7 bottles will take on the 7euro bottles of French wine any day.  For those who haven't seen the movie Bottle Shock, I highly recommend it.. It proves my CA wine is superior point.  I watched it a couple of years ago and all of a sudden I feel like I actually know a thing or two about wine history.  

All in all, a good day was had by all.  We came home and everyone took nice, long, solid naps..  A little dose of good weather and outside time is just what we all needed.  Now off to plan tomorrows adventure !


Claire is ready to get her tourism on


Very steep bumpy road! 


Great view! 


My happy little sidekick.  Nobody I'd rather wear around Europe :) 




Being a little terror everywhere he goes.  Lucky for him he's cute


Exploring the shops


Neat old church.  The bells were ringing when we were there, super cool to hear. 


A little hidden shopping area


Somebody was wiped when we got home! 

And here's some pics from the previous days park adventures 


Rocking and rolling on the cars at the park



Busting out some new climbing skills! 


Reaching a new level of cool playing on the big kids play structure... minor heart attack for mom


Bouncing around with his temporary big sister


Cuteness just hanging out in the carrier... most portable baby ever! 



King of the clubhouse


I'm ready for my close up! 


No comments:

Post a Comment